Culture and Service in Chengdu & Danba
This culture and service tour combines cultural experiences with completing a trail building service project. It enables students to offer valuable help to projects deeply rooted in a framework of sustainability, and become part of the community by working alongside local people.
We work with the local community to provide an authentic cultural experience, including local families hosting the students to stay. 3 days of the tour will focus on helping to building a trail for the local community, alongside this students will partake in a range of activities. These include learning Tibetan embroidery; visiting the traditional local architecture, including a trek to the Shalake Monastery; and learning a traditional Guozhuang dance.
✓ Local tour guide
✓ All accommodation costs
✓ Full board meals for the entire trip
✓ All transportation costs, airport pick-up & drop-off
✓ All activities listed in the itinerary
✓ 1 free teacher per 10 paying students
✓ 24-hour emergency contact support during the trip
✓ Detailed pre-departure summary & briefing
✓ Full financial failure protection
✓ Public liability insurance
✓ Our trips are fully risk-assessed
An Example itinerary
- Take a morning flight from Shanghai to Chengdu Airport (flight included), where our enthusiastic adventure leaders will be waiting for you at the arrivals gate.
- Transfer to your accommodation in Chengdu and once you are settled, come together for a trip briefing. Your adventure leaders will explain details about your program plans, give advice on how to adapt to the local challenges and outline how you will stay safe during your travels.
- In the afternoon, visit one of Chengdu’s oldest streets, Jin li Street, to enjoy its ancient Chinese charm. Students will take part in a scavenger hunt in teams, encouraging them to observe, record and describe their surroundings. The Learning Adventure will provide a small prize for the winning team.
- End the day with a welcome feast of Sichuan hotpot, a must try in this part of China (non-spicy option available!)
- Wake early and take the coach to Zhonglu, (7 hours drive) climbing to an altitude of 2,100m. We will be going through the Mt. Balang Pass from where the snowcapped peaks of Mt. Siguniang can be seen. The coach will stop at Wolong and Xiaojin, where students will take a short walk and use the facilities.
- Arrive in Zhonglu and meet with your host family. Enjoy a warm welcome and settle into this beautiful village.
- Visit the Yunhe Center and listen to an introduction by local villagers (with our guide translating) who will explain the significance of the trail building project they are working on.
- Learn how to properly and safely use the tools necessary for the restoration project. The project coordinator will assign different tasks to each small group
- After this orientation, students will commence work on the trail build
- In the evening, join the host families and local villagers as they share stories about the trail students are working on and about the role it played in the development of the village
- Students will spend the morning and early afternoon continuing work on the trail project
- Later, learn about traditional Tibetan embroidery from a skilled embroider in the village
- Start the day by learning about the traditional architecture in this village as you climb up its watchtower. Trek to the Shalake Monastery and learn about Tibetan Buddhism.
- In the afternoon, students will complete their work at the service project
- After dinner, learn a traditional Guozhuang dance (a kind of team circular dance), then there will be a chance for students, teachers and adventure leaders to come together for a reflection session.
- After an incredible few days, it’s time to head back to the airport for your flight home!
✓ Accommodation at a student-friendly hostel and camping
✓ Private coach transfer
✓ All accommodation and transport used is fully audited
✓ Expert local tour guides provided
✓ Pre-trip support, we can provide fapiaos and school parents’ evenings
✓ Educational materials available and all activity costs included
Our guides were remarkable in their care and concern. They appreciated our needs and requests as well as made the time to choose meaningful activities for us. Very well done.
Hassle free for teachers! The Learning Adventure is experienced in running trips for schools – they know all the drills, e.g. first-aid, insurance, risk assessments, visa application, diet requirements, you name it.
I just wanted to thank you for putting together such a great trip for our students. The feedback from the staff was excellent and they were particularly impressed by the communication in the build-up to the trip, along with the local knowledge of the guide, the range of activities, and the clear contingency planning when the weather didn't cooperate. I am very keen that we repeat this trip next year…
The students got the chance to experience the environment of a corporate office which gave them an idea of what working life might be like in the future. The workshops and talk by the guest speaker gave the students insights into start-up businesses and ways in which they can seek support to be entrepreneurs. The students felt really inspired by the talk given by the young entrepreneur as having a young person speak to them about success helped the students to understand that they can have confidence in themselves and their futures. The students enjoyed the workshop where they were given the opportunity to work together and share creative thoughts about start-up ideas. Thank you for organising a really insightful, educational and fun-filled trip for our students. They really enjoyed it!
Thank you for making the trip such a wonderful memory.
Fantastic! Helpful, patient, passionate; an ambassador for her country - she created a great impression on the students. Very personable.
TLA [The Learning Adventure] was great about incorporating our requests for travel and including their own recommendations. As always, a true pleasure to work with. Their attention to details is truly amazing.
I really enjoyed every part of The Learning Adventure as it helped me learn a lot of new interesting things and gave me an insight into business and how to make a start in it, particularly a start-up. Beginning with a short tour around Greater London informed our team about the historical context of the amazing business district and how it all started, and later on I found the start-up activity absorbing and interactive while the entrepreneur who talked to us about such things like career options helped a lot. Our guide was friendly and everything went smoothly. Thank you so much The Learning Adventure!
We enjoyed all the activities immensely, there was a huge range. The school we visited this time was brilliant, so well organised. The guides really tried hard to reference the aims of the trip. Peter was exceptional, he was kind and was very concerned that everyone was well and enjoying themselves. He was also very informative. The geography lecturer was exceptional and fitted the brief 110%!
Thanks for being fun, polite, and patient. We appreciated everything from bringing us on subways to public transport to ordering special food to being on time.
Health & safety were well taken care of. None of the travellers got sick because of food on the trip, and an effort was always made to ensure the cleanest available restroom. We were always advised to wear seatbelts on the bus when on the highway. The food in Shanghai was a good variety of both dishes and cuisine, and I really appreciated how much effort Caroline put into making sure our 素菜宝宝 had enough to eat.