Bashang Grasslands (Inner Mongolia)
Experience the Bashang Grasslands on a hiking school tour, designed to challenge students and immerse them in the surrounding environment. This programme aims to develop students’ understanding of the people who inhabit the region and their traditional culture.
Over the 4 days of the tour, students will hike roughly 20km in total with an overnight camping stop where students will learn how to pitch tents. Along the way students will see the grasslands’ stunning landscapes, rolling hills, quaint valleys and secluded lakes. Students come to learn more about the culture and way of life of the people who call the grasslands home, pushing their understanding of both the existence of deep commonalities as well as the value of difference. We also like to make the most of what the area has to offer and include a chance to use telescopes to view the night sky, plus have a splash and go paddle boating!
✓ Local tour guide
✓ All accommodation costs, including tents
✓ Full board meals for the entire trip
✓ All transportation costs, airport pick-up & drop-off
✓ All activities listed in the itinerary
✓ 1 free teacher per 10 paying students
✓ 24-hour emergency contact support during the trip
✓ Detailed pre-departure summary & briefing
✓ Full financial failure protection
✓ Public liability insurance
✓ Our trips are fully risk-assessed
An Example itinerary
- Board private, air conditioned coaches accompanied by 1 adventure leader and transfer 5 hours to the Bashang Grasslands. Meet your local adventure leaders upon arrival.
- Come together for dinner then a welcome briefing which takes places in a large yurt near your hotel. Your adventure leaders will explain details about the schedule for the program, advice on challenges you may face and outline how you will stay safe during the program
- In the evening, head out to a secluded spot for a tour of the night sky with an astronomer who will be travelling up from a university in Beijing. Using specialist telescopes you will learn how to identify a number of constellations.
- Begin your day’s hike through the grasslands supported by local sherpas and horses.
- Hike through stunning landscapes, passing rolling hills, quaint valleys and secluded lakes as you work as a team to navigate your route.
- Stop for lunch where you will learn how to prepare a hot meal in the wilderness.
- Continue hiking until you arrive at your camp for the evening, having hiked about 15km. Students will learn how to best choose camping sites and pitch tents properly.
- Cook dinner, before sitting down around a campfire for songs and marshmallows. Enjoy a cozy night under canvas.
- Learn how to properly breakdown camp and look after your equipment, before preparing your own hearty camp breakfast.
- Hike 5km back for hot showers and rest after your challenging 2 days in the wilderness.
- Head to a nearby lake to a few turns on the slip and slide waterslide there before, taking the paddle boats out for an afternoon splashing about on the water.
- Visit a restaurant located in a large yurt, for a Mongolian style banquet to celebrate the last night of your adventure.
- After dinner come together for a reflection session. Through discussion, listening and guided thought, participants can process their experiences, digest new ideas and consider what they have learned on the trip.
- This morning, you will pack your bags before having a room inspection, then boarding your private, fully insured coaches back to your school in Beijing. There will be a lunch stop on the way at a service station – included by TLA.
✓ Accommodation at a student-friendly hostel and camping
✓ Private coach transfer
✓ All accommodation and transport used is fully audited
✓ Expert local tour guides provided
✓ Pre-trip support, we can provide fapiaos and school parents’ evenings
✓ Educational materials available and all activity costs included
Fantastic! Helpful, patient, passionate; an ambassador for her country - she created a great impression on the students. Very personable.
We enjoyed all the activities immensely, there was a huge range. The school we visited this time was brilliant, so well organised. The guides really tried hard to reference the aims of the trip. Peter was exceptional, he was kind and was very concerned that everyone was well and enjoying themselves. He was also very informative. The geography lecturer was exceptional and fitted the brief 110%!
I really enjoyed every part of The Learning Adventure as it helped me learn a lot of new interesting things and gave me an insight into business and how to make a start in it, particularly a start-up. Beginning with a short tour around Greater London informed our team about the historical context of the amazing business district and how it all started, and later on I found the start-up activity absorbing and interactive while the entrepreneur who talked to us about such things like career options helped a lot. Our guide was friendly and everything went smoothly. Thank you so much The Learning Adventure!
I just wanted to thank you for putting together such a great trip for our students. The feedback from the staff was excellent and they were particularly impressed by the communication in the build-up to the trip, along with the local knowledge of the guide, the range of activities, and the clear contingency planning when the weather didn't cooperate. I am very keen that we repeat this trip next year…
The students got the chance to experience the environment of a corporate office which gave them an idea of what working life might be like in the future. The workshops and talk by the guest speaker gave the students insights into start-up businesses and ways in which they can seek support to be entrepreneurs. The students felt really inspired by the talk given by the young entrepreneur as having a young person speak to them about success helped the students to understand that they can have confidence in themselves and their futures. The students enjoyed the workshop where they were given the opportunity to work together and share creative thoughts about start-up ideas. Thank you for organising a really insightful, educational and fun-filled trip for our students. They really enjoyed it!
Hassle free for teachers! The Learning Adventure is experienced in running trips for schools – they know all the drills, e.g. first-aid, insurance, risk assessments, visa application, diet requirements, you name it.
Thank you for making the trip such a wonderful memory.
Thanks for being fun, polite, and patient. We appreciated everything from bringing us on subways to public transport to ordering special food to being on time.
TLA [The Learning Adventure] was great about incorporating our requests for travel and including their own recommendations. As always, a true pleasure to work with. Their attention to details is truly amazing.
Our guides were remarkable in their care and concern. They appreciated our needs and requests as well as made the time to choose meaningful activities for us. Very well done.
Health & safety were well taken care of. None of the travellers got sick because of food on the trip, and an effort was always made to ensure the cleanest available restroom. We were always advised to wear seatbelts on the bus when on the highway. The food in Shanghai was a good variety of both dishes and cuisine, and I really appreciated how much effort Caroline put into making sure our 素菜宝宝 had enough to eat.